Wednesday 23 January 2013

Midwinter Thoughts

As the great thinker H.P. Baxxter once put it - "The chase...is better than the catch." For some people out there, it seems that the catch is all there is to carp fishing. I find this philosophy quite blasé. As I said in my earlier blog, the fish after all, are just fish.

I think we all enjoy hearing good stories. That's why we watch movies and read books. Even our lives can be seen as a story, a lifelong journey that could be written as a book (or several). Anyway, there's little point in measuring life by numbers, like annual income, weight, height or number of children. The only people interested in those facts are statisticians.

I am quite sad to see that carp fishing is heading strongly to plain statistics. I prefer stories to numbers. So if I hear a fishes weight before hearing the story behind it, I am not impressed at all. And if you catch the monster of the day-ticket lake, make sure you can tell a story about it. It's sad if the only thing worth mentioning about catching a monster fish is that last time "Betty" (the fat lady carp) was caught, she weighted 2 kilos less. It's not a story, or at least a story to be told to future generations of angling.

Be nice, and catch experiences rather than PBs. If you have a good story, you can always write a nice article or even a book someday!

Oh, and here's an old picture, a real blast from the past. My biggest carp caught on sweetcorn. Too bad I had to stop fishing for carp that autumn, I had a MSc thesis to write... And yes, there's a story behind that carp. Someday hopefully, I can find the time to tell the story.

A nice common caught from a lake somewhere quite close to the arctic circle...

2 comments:

  1. Same thoughts - i'm more or less a story chaser.

    For me fishing, more and more carpfishing is all about feelings. This is my way to have more joy in my life. That suits me.

    But if someone gets a joy from big carps and he's main focus is catch a pb carp let him fish that way. I guess there's room for everyone

    -teemu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you are right there. There should be room for everyone. Too bad the story-aspect of fishing has almost died out. Look at any given carp magazine and you can see that it's full of techniques and PB hunts. There are just one or few magazines out there which point out the finer things in angling. That is the main problem and the wrong I am targeting with this text.

    I hope there would be more formats where we could read stories of angling. I've already purchased all of Chris Yates' production, and the fishing book pile is growing every year :)

    ReplyDelete