Sunday 12 February 2012

Rod pods, tripods etc. vol 1

Hi again! It's been a while, and I am pleased to see that I have been writing this blog through the hard winter. As you probably know, winter is really a winter up here in Finland. -28 degrees Celsius is not the optimal angling temperature. I tend to start my season in April-May, so it's still a long wait until then.

I would like to comment different types of setting the rods on the bank. I started with traditional pod type, which had very little adjustment options. I soon found out that it's no good in natural terrain. I always had to search available spots for my pod. Usually it was really hard. When you had flat terrain where to put the pod onto, it was overgrown with grass, etc. And if you didn't clear the area, the grass would sway in the wind and pull the line (which in turn had the alarms beeping all the time). The good side to this type of a pod is that you can transport it almost fully assembled! It's ready to go in seconds.

Traditional rod pod with very little options for adjustment. Good for man made angling pegs, very hard to use on natural terrain.
Of course there are more advanced types of traditional pods available. They come with extending legs, adjustable buzzer bars, etc. You should be able to use this type of a pod with ease in almost every situation.

So now a few words about tripods. For one good reason I have started using the "tripod" type of a pod. It's got three legs, and the rods can be tilted so that the tips can point into the water or up into the sky. The reason why I am using tripod is that with the rod tips pointed up, I can get the lines over the vegetation in the water. Because of this, no reeds are touching my line and causing constant beeping from my bite alarms. This way I get some sleep at night hoping that a carp would wake me.

Tripod - rod tips pointed up, no reeds or grass is touching my line. Even in windy conditions I wouldn't get false alarms from the swaying vegetation. In the picture is my previous pod - Prologic Tripod. Now I am using the Prologic "New green" Tripod.

2 comments:

  1. Hello! Are you carpfishing in finland? I thought that there were no carps here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I do fish for carp here in Finland. All the carp you see in the pictures are from Finland (unless otherwise mentioned). They maximum weight for carp here is around 22 kg (or 50 lbs).

    ReplyDelete