Sunday 10 July 2011

Spreading the Word

Carp fishing isn't well known in Finland. Actually, the number of carp anglers is counted in tens. No, not thousands. Just a few fanatics are doing it and they are mostly regarded really eccentric because they are fishing for cyprinids. In Finland cyprinids are mostly considered lesser species with low value in sport fishing.

In my opinion, more people should know about coarse & carp fishing. What I've done is that I have been an educator on a few angling nights on a carp lake. People are attending nicely, and this year was the third year of educating new carp anglers. And we've managed to get new anglers every year. That is good. It's also good to catch something when fishing. The carp in the photo was caught after the next morning after the angling night. It was 4,6 kg (ca. 10 lbs). Beautiful fish! 

A fully scaled double figure common  is always a nice catch. Would like to catch a 30lb fully scaled...
This year I also did a publicity angling day where a lot of people came to see carp fishing. Also I had time on the radio and newspapers. It was kinda silly, as I didn't know any of that in advance. Answering questions about the ethics of c&r-fishing is quite difficult. Especially when it is going to be broadcast on the radio. Luckily I think I managed well. :)

Cheers and tight lines- Henrik

No comments:

Post a Comment