Tuesday 26 April 2016

PIKE: Start of The Season

Hi all!

Thank you again for visiting & reading my blog. It's been a while since the last blog updates, but anyway, I think writing a blog is like running a marathon, not a 100 m sprint.

I started my season just the next day after the ice had left the bank where I keep my boat. There were still some ice slabs floating in the lake, so the water wasn't too warm yet. At least the sun was shining - which is a good thing for fishing in the very early spring. Warming water usually means active fish. 

The start wasn't too good, but I switched to a new spot on the lake, where I had struggled last autumn (not catching a single bite!) Somehow my thoughts started wandering during my drive from the first spot to the second. I just love bright colored lures, especially when everything else in the surroundings are still dead and colorless. 

Colors. LOT OF COLORS! In the background is the new Patriot Pikehound 7' 50-100g rod.
So the new spot wasn't too easy, but I still remembered the rule from last season: "on this lake thou shalt not fish with paddletails!". So I switched to S-curve action lure (Line-Thru Trout 20 cm). The first cast gave me this 102 cm pike. It had some kind of a big wound on its back. I felt sorry for the little critter. Hopefully it will recover from his/her wounds. 

After catching my first pike of the season, I switched to SG Shine Glider 18 cm and started catching again (totaled around 7 pike). I fished the reeds with the new Patriot Pikehound 7' casting rod. I really liked it, as the rod butt section is quite short and really easy to handle while switching hands. Not my choice for pelagic pike fishing, but for casting in the reeds - a really good choice indeed!

What in the world happened to you?! 

3 comments:

  1. Any tips on starting out Pike Fishing Henrik?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah- yes. Maybe I should write a blog entry about starting pike fishing. A longish topic and it also includes quite a lot of fish welfare questions as well. Thanks for the idea Craig! Will do.

      Delete
  2. I am with Craig, get a blog entry done on Starting out Pike Fishing

    ReplyDelete