Friday 9 September 2011

Obsessive Behaviour

This year I had a definite plan. I was going to catch an eel over 3 kgs (ca. 6½ lbs). It shouldn't have been impossible, as I live next to a lake that is known for it's gigantic eel. So, the summer came and I started fishing for carp as usual. Then the summer went on and I still fished for carp. Suddenly I realized that summer was over and the autumn was here. Yet, I hadn't spent a single session after the leviathan eel, as I had planned so cunningly.

What was my big insight to this "not-fishing-for-eel -phenomena" was that I am completely and utterly obsessed with carp. Firstly, I have ALWAYS considered myself as an all-rounder with appetite for all sorts of fishing with rod and line. I have spent countless days chasing pike, perch and trout with lures. A few years ago match angling was my cup of tea. But now, these things are just quite blasé. And it's quite frightening.

I tried to fight my habit but I soon found out that it was useless. I could only enjoy carp fishing. Then, after several nights of mind-games I decided to just be obsessed. As I know now that as obsessions come, someday they will go. Then I can go feeder fishing for roach as a happy man. Until then I will remain obsessed in the realm of Cyprinus carpio.

No comments:

Post a Comment