Friday 9 December 2011

Essential tackle vol. 1

My previous blog got a comment which underlined the difficulty of choosing the essential tackle for carp angling. I mean, as it is difficult enough for an advanced angler, I can imagine (and remember) the challenges a beginner faces. Well, I hope I can help a bit with these issues. In my earlier blog, I mentioned that fishing is always about the welfare of the fish, and on the second place, the welfare of the angler. Start buying your tackle also in that order. So here's a list of must haves and not so important tackle. I start with the must haves.

1) Good quality carp landing net (soft mesh, minimum. 42"). Don't use any other landing net models than carp nets! The sparse mesh in other models can twist and break carp fins. Plus, carp freak out when you try to fit them in undersized landing nets. This elongates the landing time, which in turn isn't good for the fish.

2) Unhooking mat. Don't get your carp flapping on the bare ground. It can have internal damage or get infections if it's mucus layer is damaged. Also, it's good to have the carp nice and clean for the photos. Use soft unhooking mats (padded ones) which are large enough.

3) Weigh sling. Use the ones designed for carp. The ones for predator fish are way too shallow and the straps can harm the carp. Use the ones which you can close from the both ends with a zip. You can carry the fish back to the water in the sling and revive it carefully.

4) Forceps and a disgorger for getting the hook off safe. Have them always ready and available.

5) A bucket(ful of water). Before getting the carp on the unhooking mat, pour some water on the mat. The mucus layer and the gills really have to be protected. You can also pour water on the carp already on the landing mat. Get the weigh sling also wet before putting the carp in it.

I will write my next blog on the other tackle needed. But I mean, in most places the items mentioned above are required by the rules. So I challenge everyone who's reading this blog and fishing, or planning to fish for carp, to get these essential fish welfare tackle ASAP.

As you can see, there's the pliers, a carp landing net, unhooking mat and a weigh sling... And don't lift the carp too high.  You DON'T want the carp falling down from 1,5 m... Keep the carp low.

No comments:

Post a Comment