Sunday 6 May 2012

The Fear Of The Monster

All anglers, like I want to catch a big fish. I mean such a fish, that is not just big but monstrous! Imagine all the hype and photographs of the fish and you, the angler. Likely you just could net it and put it back without putting a number on it. But anyway, catching such a monster fish ultimately has consequences.

There is a saying that goes "Be careful what you wish for". Sometimes you can be better off just dreaming and not getting what you think you want. What is there left if you break the record? You can't keep on fishing for the record fish, because you've already caught it! I don't actually know what it feels like, but I know some anglers who have caught the record fish and suffered somewhat of a motivational breakdown. Usually the fisherman changes the fishing style or the species they are fishing for. Some people turn to playing golf. 

I lost a lot of my match angling appetite after winning the Finnish team championship twice in a row. Winning that contest had been my motivation in practicing and competing. When I had what I wanted, my match angling days were over.

I love fishing for carp so much that I don't want to catch the record carp. I fear monster carp because they can take from me what I treasure the most.

Not a monster carp, luckily.


1 comment: